Tactical Airspace Integration System

ROLE

UX/UI DESIGNER

TIMEFRAME

TWO YEARS

DELIVERED

RESEARCH, INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE, WIREFRAMES, PROTOTYPE, USER TESTING

Overview

TAIS was redesigned for the US Army to improve the usability of the application, which in return increased soldier ramp up and reduce response time.

Problem Statement

  • Increase the adoption by new TAIS users
  • Increase the task speed for the soliders
  • This was asked of the customer, but also apparent through user research
  • Some of the older soldiers did not want to change the way the system works today

Users and Audience

  • The young soliders had a hard time getting ramped up on the application
  • We created personas and ran a SUS score against the original application
  • what is unique is that there is a wide range of technicality and choice of interface style
  • If we would not be able to convert new soldiers to use the software there is a high possibility the software would be replaced by a distributor.
  • Solders range from 20-30s and come from all walks of life.

Roles and Responsibilities

  • 2 developers and myself
  • all in-house
  • co-located within GD’s collaborative foundry space
  • The project took around 2 years
  • Received requirements from the customer and system functions from our systems team.
  • I did both the research and synthesis.
  • stakeholder meetings involved PM
  • created wireframes, personas, stakeholder map,
  • created low and high fidelity
  • worked with 2 exceptional front-end developers (start-finish)

Scope and constraints

  • about half-way through the project I went from a free-floating window UI to a responsive design.
  • limited access to users, had to make very meaningful time when I had access
  • Had to educate engineers about how UX works

Process

  • Setting out to solve the problem of users not understanding the current complex system. Had to be solved so that we did not loose future personal.
  • Did research with users: TLX, Bullseye-diagram, SUS, Rose Bud Thorn, Wireframing, Stakeholder maps
  • Created Personas, Wireframes
  • Did SUS all along the project
  • Final deliverable was a fielded application which has high adoption rate.
  • Lessons – It takes a very strong connection to implementation to have the ammount of success that we had and we should tear down silos and throwing things over the all at all cost

Outcome

  • The project hit all of it’s deadlines
  • The project was on budget and we got more budget to continue
  • The project is still going and being maintained by the GD UX group
  • The project was not sure of UX in the beginning and has become one of our greatest advocates
  • stakeholder adoption was great and it allowed us to receive future funding
  • Success was measured by SUS scores
  • Something I can take away is that I should not be afraid to take myself even farther away from the original product in the future.

Prev
Next